Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Issues with not so good bread

So, you are gluten free and you have tried several or many of the frozen gluten-free bread products and you are still coming up unsatisfied. Let's face one big truth about gluten-free eating. Bread products have come a long way, but they still don't taste like gluten laden bread, so you may have to adjust your taste just a bit. There is a slight difference in taste and I am assuming that there always will be. But, all whining aside there are some good products out there. A new bread product that HyVee is carrying in their Health Market frozen food section is Udi's products. Their frozen muffins are wonderful........the closest thing I have found yet to "real" muffins. I keep them in the freezer and heat them up in the oven when I want to indulge in one. They are nice big muffins and the texture if delightful. They also make a frozen whole grain bread that I think makes excellent toast. I think we all know that you have to keep frozen gluten-free bread frozen and just pull out what you need as you need it. Gluten-free bread does not have a great shelf life nor does it do so well without being toasted. But this bread is pretty good. I have not tried their sandwich loaf yet, but I have their frozen pizza crusts in the freezer as we speak and I am planning on making a pizza tomorrow so I will post the results. What drew me to it was the fact that the crust is thin.......I don't think that there is anything worse than a thick, frozen, gluten-free pizza crust.......ugh! Not good!! So hope springs eternal with this one awaiting to be created. I have yet to see Udi's products anywhere yet but HyVee Stores. My quest for good gluten-free bread products seems to be never ending and I am happy to see new products that seem to outshine some of the old stuff. I believe I would rather just go without bread that eat bad gluten-free bread.......not worth the calories or the "blah" of it all. Stay tuned all you celiacs........later.

No comments:

Post a Comment